Hello and welcome to Illustrator 2!
I will meet you on Canvas Zoom today at 8:15 a.m.
Happy first day of Virtual Fall 2021 semester… Today we will go over the syllabus, our proposed projects, options for online tutorials and basic Illustrator technical questions. Please be sure to look at our syllabus, which you can find here .
Please stay posted as I design our class blog. Follow along and log on from home to access assignments, due dates and links to inspiring designers.
It is very important that you keep up with your projects as well as participate in our Design Critiques- not only for the benefit of your grade, but for your greater benefit towards becoming professional graphic designers!
I’m looking forward to a great semester!
Best, Prof. Hopkins
Course Description: This advanced course will give essential skills in vector graphics through the Illustrator program, covering a range of projects and creative explorations. Emphasis will be placed on creative problem solving, the pen tool, shape building, pattern creation and typographic experimentation.
- Family of Characters- a warm up project to get re-acquainted with the Illustrator tools and toolbar. From Sketch to Vector + Character Design
- History of Poster Design – Inspired by previous Norton Museum Movie poster exhibit – we will take a virtual field trip, explore historical ideas of typography, discuss the “anatomy of poster design” and research an “old movie”.
3. Putting Things in Perspective: Vector Landscapes
Perspective tool, advanced image tracing, advanced color + gradients
4. Socio-Political Poster Design:
Choose a topic, take a stand and use your design skills for change!
Homework for next week:
- Start sketching your “family”!
- Start thinking about projects!
What to expect in terms of method of working: We will use this website for all class assignments, submit files through Canvas and have critiques through Canvas Zoom, as well as have at least one “half-way” check in on each assignment.
And FYI – you can email me ANYTIME for feedback, technical assistance, or just to say hello 😉