Watch these Video tutorials:
Lynda.com best video:Drawing Vector Graphics: Patterns
Adobe (free help) Adobe help:
- Objectives: Using the pen tool, shape builder tools and others – create a digital pattern that can be made into a piece of fabric, wallpaper, or other paper goods. (Journal, file folder, etc.) We are also going to learn how to “Recolor Artwork” so you can see your pattern in different color schemes. We will also cover color and color swatches in Illustrator. Pattern Options and Pattern Tiling.
Create a digital pattern repeat in Illustrator using 2-5 colors within the file.
1. Experimenting with: Basic tiling, brick, hexing, and mirroring.
2. Present a ” Pattern Collection” for critique.
- Design three different cohesive patterns
- 8″ x 10″ for each of the 3 art boards
Note: In your collection, you must have one “Seamless” pattern design.
Things to think about:
1. Color palette/harmony
2. Execution: What do you see this pattern being used for?
3. Tech: pen tool, shape builder, arrangement of layers, (overlapping shapes) composition, Recoloring Artwork, scale tool, etc.
4. Stylistic: Abstract, non-representational, representational, whimsical, geometric?
Other videos: Color Theory
Show student examples
Lynda.com: Surface Designers: Chapter 5
Spoonflower – print on demand by textile designers and artists.
And, of course, we can’t talk about wallpaper design without talking about the amazing Arts and Crafts artist and designer, William Morris.
Here are some links to his famous designs:
Books referenced for this project:
DUE DATE: Wednesday, April 4